We have arrived in jolly old England! Funny how they use that expression, I have a feeling she is slightly younger at heart and still suffers from the odd bout of PMT...
In accordance with new Cathay Pacific cattle class regulations Murray is now 5ft 2in and has an inside leg of 22'' but we are otherwise unscathed.
It's been an interesting few days... and I think it will stay that way for the whole trip...
So far we have done battle with the bank , gained a mobile phone and learned to "wee".
Oh, and not to mention seen our first boats.
Let's see, the English banking system... I can't for the life of me work out why they are asking for more money to prop themselves up through this "credit crunch" when they already have ours and seem very reluctant to give us any means by which to get it off them! Yes, welcome to the medieval school of banking where you require at least three forms of photo ID (English, of course), proof of your address and 6 months worth of bank statements and that is just to get in the door! So yep no atm card for me and it's back to the fifties, with the household allowance being doled out by my sugar daddy. But I take comfort that the Queen must be in the same predicament; "Sorry dear, someone else appears to pay for all the utilities, so there is absolutely no way I can't prove I live at Balmoral" No wonder she never carries a purse, she wouldn't have anything to put in it anyway. And don't get me started on trying to transfer money overseas... Osama will never get paid at this rate!
You need a mobile phone here. It's nigh on impossible to get by without some sort of proof you exist even if it's only in the prepaid world so we have gone ahead and bought one. 39 quid may get you an all singing, all dancing nokia and a 100 minutes of talktime but it doesn't prepare you for the 12 year old that sells it to you. "OK speak slowly, the sim card goes in where, where... where? Well what sort of accessories would you recommend, the barbie cover or Bob the Builder? Really, 4p a minute from the UK to Outer Mongolia but absolutely no way it's going to work in Greece you say". I am pretty sure we haven't got two heads but I know for a fact now that we are only managing on half middle aged brain between us. Better do as Jeff says and find that eight year old to show us how all the functions work...
And welcome to "Nintendo Weeee"... I've always wanted to beat up a big boy so it's nice to know the youth of today have a legitimate outlet for the same aggression...
Now, I am pretty certain when they named this great piece of wifi entertainment they did so after they saw the effect it had on all those watching the players, add in a few beers and I am sure that that dampness in the air didn't just come from getting a sweat up. I haven't laughed that hard in ages and thank god for poise panty liners! We now know that Murray is a southpaw at heart, a lousy baseball player, potentially has a career on the golf course, has a ripper serve but should avoid making smart comments whilst bowling. All I can say is thank goodness our living room is too small for it or we would never get anything done!
And so on to boats... picture this... it's a dreak and dreary day, the rain is light but the strong easterly cuts pleasantly through your five layers of down and merino... all around you is the sound of swooping gulls and chattering teeth... ahhh the English seaside... it never changes...
We have seen two boats so far... a Westerly Storm and a Jeanneau 34.2... neither ideal but each one helps to narrow the search and improves our chances of cutting straight to the chase and starting somewhere warmer!!
Anyway cheerio for now... and note that Murray's favorite quip about have a nice winter suckers somehow just doesn't seem to have the same ring at the moment...
Oh and while I think about it... to the person that "inherited" our three NZ beer coolers between here and Auckland... Enjoy!
2 comments:
Soundz like fun!!!! Very amusing to think of you as a '50 housewife on an allowance Cate!!!! Hope the boat hunting goes well. Must be equal pegging on the temperature thing. Had 2 heavy frosts here, but also some sunny days.
Hey there great to hear you've made it safe and sound to the UK. Have been thinking of you and hoping all is well.
Cate just cant see you as a 50s wife, in fact any generation housewife!! Gotta love the back and beyond banking systems!
I've just spent a couple of days in Central and would you believe we had 23 degrees one day!!!!
Take care and good luck with the boat hunting!!!!
Post a Comment